Saturday, August 14, 2010

Curtains and Couches

I like to think that I design draperies, not just window coverings or curtains. I'll never forget about 3 years ago when one of my professors at school told us never to use the words 'curtains' or 'couches' in a presentation to a client. She just did not like the way it sounded when you are trying to sell a $10,000 sofa to a client and you call it a couch. She said you could go down to the furniture barn and buy a couch for $200! A sofa is a much more exquisite piece that sounds like an investment. Its the same with window coverings or draperies. The word 'curtain' just sort of depreciates their value. Now if you have a set from Wal-Mart, by all means, call them curtains because they probably are made out of thin, plain weave fabric with no lining. No offense to those curtain owners out there, but I can assure you if you hire me to do your windows, you will be investing into a gorgeous investment of draperies, which I usually construct out of beautiful silks, lined with blackout lining, and even sometimes add a cotton interlining for extra fullness. I also don't like to think of them as 'window coverings,' but more as an embelishment, because really windows are wonderful, beautiful thing to have in a home. Could you imagine living without natural light? It would just be so depressing. I like to dress the windows, not cover them. Now obviously you may want to close the draperies in the evenings for extra privacy, but come on, use your windows and enjoy the beautiful world outside!

Please take a look at some of my most prized draperies. I love doing different things with windows. I like to think of my drapery designs as beautiful evening gowns. Tell me what you think. You could be the owner of my next creation :-)




"Blue Wave" draperies done in blue iridescent silk, with signature pleated trim and tule

"Coral and Pearl" Dupioni Silk draperies

"Villa" draperies custom designed for a client, mustard colored linen and black chandelier beading.

Custom Black and Ivory Dupioni Silk draperies with signature pleated trim

No comments:

Post a Comment